300g plain chocolate digestive biscuits
2 tablespoons dark cocoa
¼ cup sugar
125g butter, melted
450g granulated sugar
½ cup hot water
125g salted butter
150ml double cream
1 tsp good quality sea salt
Chocolate Ganache Toppin:
200ml double cream
200g dark chocolate
To make the Salted Caramel:
1. In a heavy based saucepan mix the sugar and water together.
2. Stir until the sugar has dissolved completely.
3. Cook until it becomes a golden caramel colour – this can take up to 15 minutes but keep watching it and stirring occasionally to stop the bottom burning.
4. Working quickly to prevent it burning, add the salt and butter.
5. Then carefully pour in the cream. Stand back while doing this as the resulting steam is VERY hot. Whisk until the butter has melted and cream incorporated. Leave to cool and thicken.
1. Melt the butter.
2. Crush the biscuits as finely as possible.
3. Put the crushed biscuits in a bowl and stir in the cocoa and sugar.
4. Add the melted butter and mix together.
5. Press into the base and up the sides of a tart tin (I prefer the smooth edged ones rather than fluted but I guess you can use either)
6. Leave in the fridge or freezer until the base is firm.
7. Pour in the cooled salted caramel and put back in the fridge or freezer until cold.
8. Cover with chocolate topping
Chocolate Ganache Topping:
1. Heat the cream until just below boiling point (it is ok if it boils but it does affect the smoothness a little.
2. Break the chocolate into the hot cream and leave for several minutes to melt. Stir until smooth.
When cutting the tart, it helps to use a hot knife!
Download a pdf version